Rally NSW NSW Rally Vehicle Registration Scheme

NSW Rally Vehicle Registration Scheme

The NSW Rally Registration scheme is up and running.  Transport for NSW has released the Dedicated Rally Vehicle Technical Manual which addresses many issues, including the roll cage regulations.

How to register your car:

  1. First familiarise yourself with the requirements for registering cars in the scheme. The handbook is here:
  1. Download and fill in the application forms. They are here:
  1. Contact an Approved Certifier (list is below) and book your car in for an inspection.
  2. Brake tests – IF your car has modified brakes your car will need to have an abridged brake test done. Ask your Certifier who their Brake Tester is, and book your car in there first. This involves disconnecting the front brake lines and testing the rear, then reconnecting, bleeding then disconnect the rear to test the front. This process will take a couple of hours.
  3. If your car has a standard braking system you do NOT need a plate brake tester. The old style brake testing is fine. Most certifiers have these and can do them themselves, but check with your certifier first. When renewing registration, a standard brake test is performed.
  4. If you turn up with modified brakes for a renewal that were not on the car when the car was first registered, you will then be made to go and do the abridged brake test. When you go to your RVS inspection your car has to be ready to rally, including all the safety gear. This is both a vehicle inspection and rally scrutineering.  Make sure you have all your paperwork filled in.
  5. After having your car passed by the Approved certifier, you need to have your paperwork endorsed by the NSW Motorsport Australia office. Contact them on nsw@motorsport.org.au
  6. Take your completed paperwork to the Service NSW Richmond Service Centre (Shop 5, rear 173 Windsor Rd, RICHMOND 2753), pay them some money and collect your number plates.

How to renew your registration:

When you have a vehicle registered in the NSW Rally Vehicle Scheme which is due for renewal, you should receive an email from Motorsport Australia notifying you of the procedure to take, as follows:

You may have been sent a renewal notice issued by Transport for NSW stating the due date for your registration renewal. Please follow the steps below to complete your registration renewal.

1. Have your vehicle inspected by a Motorsport Australia approved certifier.
For a list of certifiers and their location, please click here.

2. Brake Test

If your brakes have not been modified since your last inspection, you are required to complete a standard road test.

If your brakes have been modified since your last inspection, you are required to complete a Static Brake Test. Every Motorsport Australia certifier has access to this test and will be able to assist you.

3. Submit your completed documentation for authorisation

i.  NSW RVS Inspection form

ii.  RMS Vehicle Declaration form

Once Motorsport Australia has received and processed your paperwork we will return to you the signed and approved RMS Rally Vehicle Declaration Form*. You can submit your paperwork by:

Email:  nsw@cams.com.au

Post:   PO Box 6126, Silverwater BC, NSW, 1811

4. Complete renewal at any RMS Office.The final step in the renewal process is to submit your Motorsport Australia authorised Rally Vehicle Declaration Form along with your RMS issued renewal notice to any RMS location.

If you have any questions regarding the Rally Vehicle Scheme, please contact the Motorsport Australia NSW office: (02) 8736 1218

How to become an Approved Certifier: 

The RVS needs more certifiers, particularly outside Sydney. To be an approved certifier, You need to:

  • be a RMS approved pink slip examiner with access to a workshop and hoist.
  • be a Motorsport Australia Bronze level Scrutineer (or better)
  • Have a local place that can perform an abridged brake test.

If you meet these criteria, please fill in the form below and get involved. You get paid for the inspections, it is not a free service.


1.       What are the Conditions of Operation?

To quote directly from paragraph 4 of the MOU …

Conditionally Registered Rally Vehicles operating under the RVS may be operated on roads and road related areas only under the following conditions:

·         During competition and liaison/transport stages of a sanctioned Rally event.

·         During testing of competition stages by Approved Organisation officials for a sanctioned Rally event.

·         During official training sessions for a sanctioned Rally event.

·         During a sanctioned public display and/or promotional activity.

·         For course checking/establishment/survey of rally route during preparation of a Rally event (except if the Rally Vehicle’s electronic stability   control has been disabled or removed).

·         For servicing and maintenance of the Rally Vehicle and associated testing under normal road rules and speed limits.

·         Driving to and from a sanctioned Rally event and accommodation/place of residence.

The onus is at all times on the Applicant/registered operator/driver to provide evidence that the Rally Vehicle is being used in accordance with the Conditions of Operation. Details of Rally Vehicle use must be recorded in a Vehicle Log Book.

2.       What do we need to do to be able to use the car?

As part of your RVS registration process, you will receive an RVS Log Book.  This is quite separate to your normal CAMS Log Book and is only used to record all journeys on public roads.  Before setting off to a rally, or testing, etc, simply record the date(s) of use; where you will travel to (and return, if applicable) and for what purpose.  Refer to the list above.

3.       Who are the Certifiers?

Certifiers are accredited to inspect vehicles for the RVS in Sydney and in some regional areas.  There will be a strict limit on the number of Certifiers as it is the interest of all parties to protect the integrity of the scheme.

There are currently many Certifiers in NSW. Download the list here:


4.       What are the registration costs?

The current annual registration charge is $68.00 (including GST) which includes $36.00 for the QBE Green Slip.  On the initial registration, a new set of RVS number plates will be issued at an additional cost of $47.00.  A total of $99.00 for your first registration.  The cost of the renewal each year will be in line with the current cost of $68.00.

5.       What is the cost of inspection?

The initial inspection will be charged on a per hour basis by the Certifier.  At this stage, it is expected that the initial inspection may take up to 2 hours to complete, but as the process becomes more familiar and refined the Certifiers may be able to reduce the total time taken.  In addition, the initial registration requires a brake plate test.  We expect that this will also be charged on a per hour basis.  For those vehicles with a mechanical handbrake, the test is quite simple.  For vehicles that have no mechanical handbrake, there is an additional failure test that will add to the time required, and therefore the cost.

For renewals, only the Certifiers inspection needs to be completed and it is expected that the time required will be approximately 1 hour and then charged accordingly.

6.    Can I register my car if I live interstate?

Yes. The law in all states of Australia is that your car must be registered in the state in which it is usually garaged. If your vehicle is usually garaged in NSW you can access the scheme, even if you do not hold a NSW driver’s license. You will need a letter from the owner of the garaged address stating that your car is normally garaged there. The RMS will then issue you a NSW Customer Number. You can use that customer number in all transactions with the NSW RMS where you would normally need to state your NSW licence number.

7.    What if I can’t get to the Richmond RMS?

On the registration application form there is a section titled ‘Representative’s Authority’. Filling that in allows someone else to go to the RMS and pick your plates up for you.

8.      More information?

Please send all inquiries using the contact form http://www.rallynsw.com.au/contact/